Identify EIGHT Common Causes Of Fires In A Workplace.
- Naked flames – from smoking materials, cooking appliances, heating appliances and process equipment
- External sparks – from grinding metals, welding, impact tools, electrical switch gear
- Internal sparking – from electrical equipment (faulty and normal), machinery, lighting
- Hot surfaces – from lighting, cooking, heating appliances, process equipment, poorly ventilated equipment, faulty and/or badly lubricated equipment, hot bearings and drive belts
- Static electricity – causing significant high voltage sparks from the separation of materials such as unwinding plastic, pouring highly flammable liquids, walking across insulated floors, or removing synthetic
- Chemicals – the storage in close proximity of incompatible substances, and not following safe working procedures g. re-capping containers giving of flammable vapour when the container is not in actual use.
- Housekeeping – allowing flammable materials to accumulated in areas where there is a risk of
- Waste storage and disposal – flammable waste not being placed in lidded containers and not emptied
- Flammable gases – leaks – inappropriate controls that identify the presence of leaking cylinders, valves and/or associated
- Maintenance – not having adequate maintenance procedures in place to ensure preventative measures against the generation of heat g. friction from bearings that are not properly lubricated, not clearing/cleaning ventilation holes on equipment that may cause heat to build up as it is unable to escape/ventilate properly.
- Effects of strong sunlight – this may focus beams of light which can be excessively hot onto flammable materials and cause combustion – almost spontaneous combustion should sufficient flammable gases be given
- Hot work activities not being properly controlled g. welding, cutting and grinding
- Arson – setting fire to material by malicious
- People playing with fire in a foolish manner
Other Important Health and Safety Topics:
- How to Pass NEBOSH IGC In First Attempt?
- Guidance On NEBOSH Command Words / Action Verbs
- Why We Manage Health and Safety?
- Barriers In Promoting Good Standards Of Health And Safety at Workplace.
- Purpose Of Three Main Sections Of An Organization’s Health And Safety Policy.
- Circumstances That May Require A Health And Safety Policy To Be Reviewed
- Setting Of Health and Safety Targets & Their Importance
- Reasons Why An Organization Should Review Its Health And Safety Performance
Other Important Useful Links:
- HSE Interview Questions and Answers
- NEBOSH IGC Past Papers Free Download
- NEBOSH IGC Examiner Reports Free Download