Give the meaning of the term ‘health and safety audit’.
Outline Key Areas That May Be Covered Within A Health And Safety
Explain how the findings of a health and safety audit can be used to improve health and safety
The meaning of the term „health and safety audit‟ is a systematic critical examination of a health and safety management system, involving a structured process for the collection of independent information with the aim of assessing the effectiveness and reliability of the system and suggesting corrective action when this was thought to be necessary.
Some candidates confuse an audit with an inspection – be warned. Part (b)
Key areas that may be covered by a health and safety audit include:
- The health and safety policy;
- The allocation of roles and responsibilities;
- The completion of risk assessments;
- The control of specific hazards such as those connected with display screen equipment, manual handling and working at heights;
- Fire protection and prevention;
- Arrangements for the control of contractors;
- Records of employee competence and training;
- First aid and emergency procedures;
- Procedures for the reporting and investigation of accidents;
- Arrangements for consultation with employees
- Minutes of safety committee meetings;
- Maintenance records including those required by law;
- Enforcement history; and
- Recommendations for the improvement of the existing health and safety management
The findings of a health and safety audit may be used for
- Improving health and safety performance by identifying areas of compliance and non-compliance and the reasons for and nature of the non-compliance;
- Identifying the strengths and weaknesses of the existing system, enabling comparison and benchmarking with other similar organisations and communicating the findings to management and staff;
- Informing and enabling remedial actions to be taken emphasising the need for proactive rather than reactive measures;
- Aiding prioritisation and the allocation of resources; producing evidence of commitment by the organisation in putting health and safety on the agenda; and
- Encouraging continual improvement.
Other Important Health and Safety Topics:
- How to Pass NEBOSH IGC In First Attempt?
- Guidance On NEBOSH Command Words / Action Verbs
- Why We Manage Health and Safety?
- Barriers In Promoting Good Standards Of Health And Safety at Workplace.
- Purpose Of Three Main Sections Of An Organization’s Health And Safety Policy.
- Circumstances That May Require A Health And Safety Policy To Be Reviewed
- Setting Of Health and Safety Targets & Their Importance
- Reasons Why An Organization Should Review Its Health And Safety Performance
Other Important Useful Links:
- HSE Interview Questions and Answers
- NEBOSH IGC Past Papers Free Download
- NEBOSH IGC Examiner Reports Free Download