Excavation work is being undertaken on a construction site. Identify the control measures that should be in place to minimise the risk to workers.
- Detection of services using plans, cable / pipe detectors etc,
- Supporting the sides to prevent collapse,
- Storage of materials and spoil away from the edge to prevent them falling into the excavation,
- Measures to prevent vehicles falling into excavations such as stop blocks, mounds, etc,
- Guard rails and barriers,
- Measures to prevent collapse of adjacent structures,
- Safe means of access / egress,
- Testing for, and ventilation of, noxious fumes,
- Measures to pump out water (dewatering) to prevent or reduce the likelihood of flooding,
- Safe procedures for working with mechanical plant,
- Inspection, training and supervision of the staff involved and those providing supervision,
- Provision of information, instruction, training and supervision of an appropriate standards.
Other Important Health and Safety Topics:
- How to Pass NEBOSH IGC In First Attempt?
- Guidance On NEBOSH Command Words / Action Verbs
- Why We Manage Health and Safety?
- Barriers In Promoting Good Standards Of Health And Safety at Workplace.
- Purpose Of Three Main Sections Of An Organization’s Health And Safety Policy.
- Circumstances That May Require A Health And Safety Policy To Be Reviewed
- Setting Of Health and Safety Targets & Their Importance
- Reasons Why An Organization Should Review Its Health And Safety Performance
Other Important Useful Links: