Explain the circumstances under which an employer must form a health and safety committee.
Give reasons why a health and safety committee may be ineffective.
Employer is required by law to form a health and safety committee when requested in writing by two or more trade union-appointed safety representatives.
A range of reasons include:
- An uneven balance in management and employee representation;
- A general lack of commitment by management and/or employee representatives;
- Poor chairmanship;
- No published agenda or minutes;
- The infrequency or cancellation of meetings;
- The unsuitability of the topics discussed;
- No health and safety expertise available;
- No access by the committee to decision-making processes.
Other Important Health and Safety Topics:
- How to Pass NEBOSH IGC In First Attempt?
- Guidance On NEBOSH Command Words / Action Verbs
- Why We Manage Health and Safety?
- Barriers In Promoting Good Standards Of Health And Safety at Workplace.
- Purpose Of Three Main Sections Of An Organization’s Health And Safety Policy.
- Circumstances That May Require A Health And Safety Policy To Be Reviewed
- Setting Of Health and Safety Targets & Their Importance
Other Important Useful Links: