- Identify three types of emergency in the workplace that may require the evacuation of workers.
- Explain why it’s important to develop emergency procedures in the workplaces.
Three types of emergency in the workplace that could lead to the need to evacuate the workers are:
- Fire or explosion,
- The accidental release of toxic chemicals or gases, transport incidents, bomb alerts or
- Other terrorist activities, weather related emergencies and earthquakes.
Importance of developing emergency procedures in the workplaces are:
- To comply with legal requirements;
- To be prepared for foreseeable emergencies;
- To ensure the safety and protection of the workers including those dealing with the emergency,
- To assist the safe evacuation of persons including those with specific needs such as visitors and the disabled;
- To provide information on the action to be taken, not only by workers but also by neighbours and others who might be affected by the emergencies such as in a shared or joint occupancy premises;
- To allocate specific responsibilities to certain workers in the event of an evacuation being necessary;
- To be able to mitigate the effects of adverse events and to restore the situation to normal;
- To ensure the procedures are made available to any relevant emergency services & to ensure business continuity.
Other Important Health and Safety Topics:
- How to Pass NEBOSH IGC In First Attempt?
- Guidance On NEBOSH Command Words / Action Verbs
- Why We Manage Health and Safety?
- Barriers In Promoting Good Standards Of Health And Safety at Workplace.
- Purpose Of Three Main Sections Of An Organization’s Health And Safety Policy.
- Circumstances That May Require A Health And Safety Policy To Be Reviewed
- Setting Of Health and Safety Targets & Their Importance
Other Important Useful Links:
- HSE Interview Questions and Answers
- NEBOSH IGC Past Papers Free Download
- NEBOSH IGC Examiner Reports Free Download
- NEBOSH IGC Study Notes Free Download